[ale] Emacs stinks, Vi is for wimps

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Oct 8 09:04:00 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 00:38 -0400, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> > 386DX, 4MB RAM with a custom crafted modeline built using the sc
> > spreadsheet and a dotclocks file that needs heavy modification. Graphics
> > card was a trident w/0.5MB VRAM. I had 640x480 with 16 colors. It took
> > nearly a month to get all the modeline data correct (lots of trial and
> > error. mostly error. nearly smoked the monitor).
> > >

> Ok. I'm jealous now. Sort of.

Don't be. It nearly cost me my marriage! At about the 3 week point in
that process (I think the smell of overly warm dust was abating) my
neglected wife snarls at me "If that thing had breasts I'd NEVER see
you.". To which I foolishly replied "But it does. See>" and pulled up a
photo rendered in ascii text of a pair of breasts. I about slept on the
couch. The only thing that saved me was I also had an image of kittens
and puppies done the same way which I was able to display quickly.

Linux has sure gotten easier to use.

Oh. I left out the part about downloading the installation to floppies.

Ah, Slackware. I almost get misty thinking about it. Then I look at my
collection of DVD's with installation and think, "the youngsters have NO
idea what it USED to be like!".

:)

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>