[ale] Emacs stinks, Vi is for wimps

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Oct 7 16:22:58 EDT 2005

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri October 7 2005 3:18 pm, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>>ok, Bill WHO???
>>
>>Bill Joy.
>

> don't know him!

Uh, yeah. :)

>>>and what are the commands to go from window to window..
>>
>>Are you talking about when you have two vi sessions opened in the
>>same xterm?   ctrl-W leftcursor key will move you from the left edit
>>session to the right.
>>
>>check out :help in vim.
>
> I always got lost and had to kill the vi session when I got into the
> help pages...
> but I really meant to go from upper to lower window ( or other way) in
> the same vi session. That IS the point of VIM is multiple windows, so
> you don't have to start multiple sessions of VI, right?

I don't know if that is the point of vim verses vi.  You've always been
able to have multiple files open with vi. You simply switch between the
files with the :e,:n,:N commands.  Of course with the vim -ON, you get
multiple windows, one for each N, but I find that too crowded. Just open
each one in a separate term.

--
Until later, Geoffrey