[ale] suggestions for setting up a home mp3 jukebox system with a Web Interface

tejus at vijedi.net tejus at vijedi.net
Fri Oct 7 14:00:13 EDT 2005

I have a similar setup, but use an entirely different approach.  Instead of
a web interface, I just use my favorite music player of the time with VNC.
This works out pretty nicely since it makes it easier to co-ordinate with
the other folks with laptops who want to change the music selection at the
same time (surprisingly often even though there are two of us).  Plus this
way I can use the same programs to play music on the media box as I do on my
laptop.

The drawbacks are you have to install a good chunk of X and (of course) VNC
on the server and install vnc on every client machine.  Not a problem for me
since all this stuff was installed anyway.  Also, any visualizations that
the media player does will likely kill VNC (not really a problem if you
stick with XMMS or rhythmbox).

My media box is relatively beefy now, but I had this setup work very well on
a PII-233 with 64M of RAM and a 2gig disk (music files were on a network
share).

Again, not exactly what you asked for, but worth looking into if you have a
regular media player you love.

Tejus