[ale] Enterprise Linux's

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:42:50 EDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Brian Akins <bakins at web.turner.com> wrote:
> Brian MacLeod wrote:
> > On 10/6/05, *Brian Akins* <bakins at web.turner.com
>
> > All things we had to consider when our contract went up almost a year
> > ago.  We decided that while our servers were important, we could easily
> > work around any problems, and with the few servers we have, it doesn't
> > take too much time to maintain them, so we switched.  We've saved quite
> > a bit of money, especially since we never actually used the support we
> > had bought.  We took care of all of the difficulties ourselves.
>
> Thanks.  you basically put my thoughts into words.  I just needed
> someone else to state it better than I could.
>
> Also, we have some "tier 3" level Linux people who work here, so we have
> never cared about commercial support.
>
> Any thing similar to CentOS for SLES?

Not that I know of, but Novell seems to be putting most of their SLES
functionallity into SuSE Pro, so you might want to just go with SuSE
10.0 Pro (it came out today I think).

Novell did an open beta on SuSE 10.0 and I have only been reading very
positive things about it.

FYI: SLES and SuSE Pro do NOT share a kernel.  SLES is still 2.6.8 I
think with lots of back ports.  SuSE 10 Pro is 2.6.13 I think.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group