[ale] Enterprise Linux's

Brian Akins bakins at web.turner.com
Thu Oct 6 09:47:09 EDT 2005

I want to see if I'm interpreting something correctly.  Various vendors
offer "Enterprise Linux's" (RedHat AS, SLES9, etc.)  They charge
$250-2500 for a "license,"  but 99% of it is GPL'ed.  From some digging
on their websites, they seem to acknowledge that you can use the
software without paying anything, unless you want support.  In some
spots they try to steer you towards the SRPMS and I know CentOS, for
example, is built from these.

So, if I download RHEL, for example, iso's and will never use support,
it's "free," right?  I know I can download and compile all the SRPMS.

This was asked by someone else, and I was hoping to get a more succinct
answer to them.

--
Brian Akins