[ale] inexpensive mp3 players

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 10:42:35 EDT 2005

I've been using an iRiver iFP-799 1GB flash player since Christmas, and I've
been very pleased with it. You can choose the firmware for the iRiver. One
option allows you to use it as a USB Mass Storage drive, and it's worked
great with Xandros personal edition, although I had some issues with earlier
versions of the kernel. The other option requires either the Windows client
or the ifp-line tools. I've had great luck with ifp-line, and it works a bit
better than the UMS option, but I wanted to be able to drag and drop music
from any PC.

The quality on the iRiver has been great, and it's generally received good
reviews. The only complain I've heard about it is the design of the joystick
makes it difficult to use, especially for people with large hands.