[ale] zv5000

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Nov 30 06:45:10 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 20:37 -0500, Philip Polstra wrote:
> I have one of those (or something simular).  I had it working great
> with FC3 and ndiswrapper for the longest time.  Then I upgraded
> something and it stopped working.  The only way it would work is if I
> went into Windoze and turned on the wireless (it uses a soft switch),
> then rebooted to linux.  The problem is that somewhere along the way
> it decided to shut down the stupid card when Windoze shuts down, so
> this doesn't work anymore for me.  I would have spent more time trying
> to debug it, but my wife comandered the HP laptop and I was forced to
> buy a new one with Centrino chipset that works right out the door.

I do have it working now.  This laptop has a little button that allows
you to turn on or off the wireless.  Equivalent to pulling a PCMCIA card
out.  I do not know if that has anything to do with the problem but I
finally got my own version of the Ubuntu Live CD to support ndiswrapper
with my chip set.  Ubuntu's Wiki stated that if I was trying to do this
with the Live CD then "forget it".  Well it is Linux ain't it?  I simply
had to remake the cd with my driver on it.  Now I just need to figure
out a way to automate the process so it comes up automatically.

Here is how I did it:

# ndiswrapper -i <driver>
# modprobe ndiswrapper
# iwconfig wlan0 essid "jupiter"
# dhclient wlan0 &

I'm not sure why I had to tell the system what SSID it needed to connect
to.  I thought that after the modprobe then the system would locate the
proper AP.  The one it can find the easiest.  Maybe it will
automatically find Jupiter after I do  the dhclient and it tries to get
an address?

Chris