[ale] Vonage and Modems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Nov 18 08:47:50 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 22:39 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 22:27 -0500, Grant Robertson wrote:
> > You can do low speed dial up(9.6k or 14.4 from what I understand)
> > connections over vonage, but I don't know how reliable it is. I also
> > understand that the vonage "Fax" lines are somehow better for this,
> > but I have no idea what the real difference is.
>
> Then it won't work for me.  It has to be reliable because we'll have
> many  devices dialing into our server at E-Deltacomm reporting errors to
> our software.   We can get one phone line free but we have to pay for
> the extra.  I'm hoping that we never grow past 8 because I'll have to
> install another modem board in the server.

To add a bit to this:  VOIP is great for voice in the same way that mp3
is a good medium for sound. The compression routines result in a process
that is acceptable for voice. The out-of-order delivery of packets is
acceptable for voice as well as the VOIP process will simply discard a
packet or two if they show up too far removed from the buffered stream
for a fit. This will wreak havoc with the fax systems and credit card
verification systems. For a modem signal, EVERY "packet" counts and none
can be discarded.

The only other solution than multiple POTS lines would be a fractional
T1 into a channel bank card. $$$$$