[ale] Battle Report -- some joy RE: OT: Migrating off dying HDD

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Thu Nov 17 10:54:50 EST 2005

ALErs -

H. A. Story
HAS> Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:25 AM
HAS> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
HAS> Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Migrating off dying HDD

HAS> Why not just put the PC in the freezer.  Run power, video,mouse and

HAS> keyboard out.   Then work away.   Just let anyone see you trying
it.. :)

Better do that _before_ I go to the farmers' market! Afterward it's more
like, "How long does this [vegetable|fruit] have to survive before I
again have refregerator space for it?"

OTH, today I could just go outside to work!

Actually I gave the HDD a good "cold soak", connected it to a "regl'r"
PC with a 2.5"->3.5" IDE adapter, wrapped drive and an ice pack in a
dishtowel, and fired off a massive MsWin 'copy'.

That got me about 1/2 hr's working time, good for roughly 5.2 out of 5.6
GBy of the owner's personal files. I'll go back for the rest when the
drive's cold again, a few directories at a time.

There are another ~3 GBy of applications, but those should be
re-installed rather than copied.

I may "share" the recovery directory onto our LAN, and let the owner
sift for what she wants to keep.

Thanks for the good ideas.

 - Mills