[ale] OT: Migrating off dying HDD

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 10:00:01 EST 2005

Were it me and if I could get the drive out of the case still wired and
resting solidy on a flat surface, I'd grab a pot from the kitchen, fill
it with ice water, and rest it on top of the drive.  You might even put
some heatsink grease in between.

I get the feeling that that would work *real* well.  I know that if you
get those "ultimate drive cooler" things (with the blue channeled
aluminum extrusion that rests atop the drive) seated properly and with
heatsink grease in between, they carry a lot of heat out, even if you
don't use the fans that come with them.  My file server has a couple of
them and whereas I do use the slot cover grilles to let air in, I
removed the fans and I just let the existing case airflow do the job.
Those fans just fail anyway.

Jeff