[ale] Live CD to drop on my Dad's computer over thanksgiving?

Richard Atcheson ratcheson at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 14 10:55:43 EST 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 08:38 am, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>   I'm planning on dropping in on my Dad for Thanksgiving.  He's asked me
> to look at his home network while I'm there.  I warned him I'm brining
> Linux CD's and if he expects me to touch his computers he will be
> learing one of them.
>
>   My father is 59, Lives in a south florida community with an average age
> of 66.  He is capable of thinking just doesn't like necessarily learning
> new things with the computer when windows point and click "works fine."
>
>   Put the flamewars on hold, they'll be put in the spam filter but
> anyone have recomendations on Live CD's that I can drop on his desktop
> computer to show him there are much better alternatives than Windows?
> And what merrits does your suggestion have?

 Robert

I have tried Knoppix many times on different machines and it simply works.  It
comes up with a lot of things on the desktop that may be a bit daunting for
the novice.  Then there is the bit of saving your preferences.  It works but
you need to read a bit to do it.

Just this weekend I downloaded Ubuntu and Kubuntu and both detected my Network
card, just like Knoppix did, and worked fine.  The main difference from
Knoppix was the relatively blank desktops of the ubuntu's at the start.
Ubuntu with Gnome seemed a bit faster than Kubuntu with KDE.

I have tried the SuSE live version but I have had less than stellar success
with that on all my machines, although SuSE is my Distro of choice. My usual
problem with suse is the video selection.  On the others it was automagic but
on suse it sux'd.  I had to use sax to set up the cards.

HTH.
Richard