[ale] Aww... This is sad...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:23:35 EST 2005

Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I will add that the 2.6 kernel has become rather large.  A basic compile
> is well over 1meg and usually can not fit on a floppy disk.  One reason
> I still use 2.4.  Also I don't want to go through the pain of switching
> kernels.

For embedded devices, that's probably smart.

However, the 2.6 kernel has a lot more tweakable features on it then
previous lines, and it's possible to actually turn the kernel into a
very low-latency component of the user interface experience by tweaking
it for desktop use, or for server use by tweaking it in that area.  It's
pretty neat.

The only problem I've run into thus far (and like, yesterday, literally)
was trying to get a 2.6 kernel to boot on a JFS root filesystem.  I have
a box at work that runs a 2.4 system, and uses JFS as the root fs...
built that into the new kernel, of course, and it panics... So I need to
figure that one out.  *shrugs*

Anyway, 2.6 is pretty nice.  It's just a hog on disk space, /especially/
when you're building it.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                      fd0man at gmail.com