[ale] new ASUS T2 running Suse 10.0 is slooowwww

Greg Tucker gtucker1 at csc.com
Wed Nov 2 11:29:27 EST 2005

I got a new ASUS Terminator barebones T2-P. After I put it together I
loaded an old copy of Win98 just to see if everything was okay and I
deleted the Win partition. Ok so I cut corners and got a Celeron 2.93 Ghz
Socket 478 533 FSB for $49 with rebate. I added 1 gig pc3200 and a 120GB
Seagate with 8Mb cache to the T2. I loaded SUSE 10.0 and it is quite slow.
Everything seems to run okay but it takes a full ten minutes just to boot.
Clicking on Firefox it takes 35 seconds to popup. I have SUSE 9.1 on an
older box and it boots in a little over a couple of mins.

I updated the bios and all patches.

I could upgrade to a P4 3.2 GHz/ 1 MB cache and 800 MHz FSB and/or add a
SATA drive.

 Any suggestions? (Besides get an Opteron.) Should I try re-installing?

Greg Tucker
CSC Consulting
cell: 678-643-7431

for such purpose.