[ale] Firewall design

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue May 31 15:40:42 EDT 2005

Typically all the firewall's that I've used have been the MASQ type.
I've received one public IP address and placed that on eth0 and eth1 is
a private on a 192.168.2.X.

I am looking at expanding the number of public IP's from 1 to 5. I have
a question as to how this is configured. If my GDuo from SF connects via
a crossover cable to my firewall how do I get the remaining 4 public
IP's available to the other devices?  Do I somehow make them available
on eth1?

One setup I'm looking at colocating some servers at E-Deltacomm.  They
will give me 16 public IPs and I want them to only go through one Linux
firewall.  This was easy when that firewall was also the gateway.

I guess when I do get the 16 ips they'll give me the gw address, the
subnet mask and network address.  I could simply plug their network
cable into a Cisco switch and then have 16 servers attached to but then
they would all be vulnerable to the public network.  Is there a way I
can plug a Linux box between E-Deltacomm and my Cisco switch and have it
do filtering but not have an IP address on either eth0 or eth1.  This
could be an invisible inline firewall thingy :)

Chris