[ale] Installing j2se on RHEL 3?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue May 24 19:32:32 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 12:32 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> Has anyone tried this lately?  Sun ships an executable shell script
> that extracts an RPM from itself, then you are supposed to install the
> RPM.  Unfortunately, RHEL3 has a broken version of less which doesn't
> accept the -1 or +511 parameters, so the shell script broke.  (These
> are deprecated switches that RH in its wisdom decided to remove, thus
> breaking lots of old shell scripts.)
>
> I was able to figure out the script and extracted the RPM by hand, but
> the RPM itself has a shell script the uses "less -1" and it wouldn't
> install.
>
> I have found no reference to this on google.  Can it really be that no
> one else has this problem?

I am almost positive that RedHat now ships a j2 package. I recal it in
RHEL4. I'll need to check the file listing in RHEL3.

A workaround is to grab the src.rpm for less (it should be in the file
utilities package) from the Fedora tree and recompile that for an
upgrade. Or a relocated version and some PATH tweaking.

I know the less in FC3 supports the -1 for bufferring. I have installed
a jdk on FC3 from rpm with no problems.