[ale] Take the "too passe?" war on-list

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 16:12:34 EDT 2005

Hi Barry,

Allow me to first welcome you to ALE just in case no one has yet.  I've
been on the list many years, so I've truly seen the best and worst of
ALE (contributed my best whenever I could :).

I would have to say that in my opinion the downturn of involvement here
has nothing to do with list content.  I think the downturn mirrors the
general acceptance of Linux as a standard part of IT life.  How many
people go to the Atlanta Perl group, or any other long-term IT/Tech
group, with any consistency.  Sure new-comers are immediately interested
and some do attend a few.  However, I know at least half-a-dozen 5+ year
ALE folks who I have never seen at a meeting.  It is true that some
don't live in Atlanta anymore, but I think the bulk just don't need to
go to the meetings.  I like Starwars/trek, but I don't go to
monthly/quarterly/yearly meetings.  Back in the day you had to go
somewhere unusual to find people who know what Linux was.  These days
just shout "Linux!" and 3 out of 5 people know exactly what you are
talking about.

Btw, my earlier email was just an attempt at humor, not meant to invoke
a response.  However, since this one is "operational", I've changed the
subject a bit cuz I'm sure there will be some discussion.

Has Linux become sort of too passe for the hard core geeks?  The reason
I ask this is identify 3 or 4 true Linux hobbyists on this list who
don't troll for customers, make known that they seek customers,
participate here as a owner/rep of a Linux centric business.  These are
not bad or sinful things, it's just my opinion that Linux has become the
workman's standard rather than the hobbyist's exception.

-Jim P.