[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Thu May 19 07:16:49 EDT 2005

On Wednesday May 18 2005 17:18, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > You assumed that I did not have such a design. Don't backpeddle. Live
> > with it.
>
> The simple fact is this:  If you are so smart as to have devised a way
> to run as root while invalidating every single point posted to this
> list, you're a bloody genius and ought to fix your own problems.  That's
> the simple fact.

No. That is THE most false argument on this thread. You are reeeeaaching.
Regardless of my abilities, one can be smart in some areas and ignorant in
others . . . um, watch "Rain Man" or something.

> In the world, it's a risk.  You are part of the world.

There is no sarcasm in this paragraph:
OK. So, I my box is a risk to the world? Crack my system and exploit it. NOW.
No excuses. Correct me. No more excuses. None. Now. I'm waiting.
Wait, why even post this? I shouldn't be able to even typ. . . . . oh, I'm
back. Hammer me already. YOU. I will pay you - make an offer. No, crack it,
exploit the system and then BILL me.
Deal with it.

> Hence, it is a
> risk.  Numerous people have posted reasons why this is a risk.  It
> doesn't make a damn difference to you, does it?

Talk is cheap. That is why I set up the challenge. Your argument is summarily
destroyed by my observations and Jim P.'s arguments. You may not see that,
but that is why I offered the challenge. To prove once and for all who is
right on this issue.

> If you in fact are some
> supergenius, then I'd suggest you find a way to make money off the idea.

Money? That is not my goal with Linux - I have other means. Why not sell
hamburgers - I heard one can make millions from that. No, if the grand Linux
cannot surpass 33% marketshare as it is . . . . what chance do I have?

>  However, you won't, because it's insecure and blatently stupid.
PROVE IT. You will have an opportunity - where I assist you.
I will even tried to coordinate the attack at the beginning of this thread.

> The
> whole idea that running as root is smart, is foolish.

The whole assumption that I believe running as root is "smart" is foolish.
I don't CARE whether or not it is "smart" or "cool."

> If you truly think that you're smart enough to fly in the face of
> several hundred, if not thousand, man-years of UNIX experience, then you
> are either a fucking genius, or a bloody fool.

Sith deal in black and white. Technology flies in the face of the past.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown