[ale] Linux Distributions

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Tue May 17 14:36:55 EDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > there's no rationale for running as root.
>
> Sure there is.  You may not see it however.

There is. There's just not a good rationale :-)

> > Become root - or sudo - when you need to; the rest of
> > the time, don't.  Otherwise, running as root without problems is just a
> > matter of luck.  How you have things configured really doesn't make too
> > much difference when a sleep-deprived session leads you to inadvertently
>
> What's the difference between "sudo mkfs /dev/hda8" and runing
> "mkfs /dev/hda8" as root?

the difference is that if you're logged in as root, bugs in $email_client
/ $web_browser /
$all_the_other_stupid_little_apps_you_use_but_which_dont_need_root_access
can potentially do "mkfs /dev/hda8". They can't do "sudo mkfs /dev/hda8"
(unless you misconfigured sudo).

This is ultimately the same reason we don't need anti-virus scanning to
protect Linux desktops. If you run your desktop as root, you need a/v
protection and all the other pains Linux doesn't have that
non-compartmentalized OSes do have....

later,
chris