[ale] Linux Distributions

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:50:09 EDT 2005

On 5/16/05, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I prefer Debian.  Note that the old debian installer sucks unless you
> really know what you're doing (even if you do sometimes).   The new
> installer being developed and used for Unstable/Testing is MUCH better
> and can use many different types of source media.  I use it to install
> desktops and laptops over my home cable modem.
>
> Note that Debian is designed to be Secure and Stable first and formost.
> If you want all the latest bells and whistles you do not want debian
> stable, you want Debian Unstable or Testing.  Note that This doesn't
> mean it will crash constantly, it just means that it hasn't had as long
> to burn in as Debian has some strenuous requirements to be put into the
> stable tree.
>
> If you want to play with Debian and have questions please feel free to
> email me and ask if you wish.
>
> Robert

I assume you know Debian Sarge is about to be released as a new Debian
stable.  Supposidely this month from what I have read, but we all know
schedules slip.

I think Sarge is pretty current right now, so for this summer at least
Debian Stable may be a good choice even for those wanting a relatively
recent collection of tools.

I am NOT a Debian user, so if I mis-spoke, please correct me.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group