[ale] RE: laptop question

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Mon May 16 09:30:25 EDT 2005

Preston -

Sorry - I thought I'd already posted this to ALE.

Not much information there, but here's the link. Priced in Atlanta again
$579.99 in Sunday's ad:
 http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4387765?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Not much printed info, either - manuals actually cover a range of models.
I'll be happy to dig out any detail I can from the unit I've got.

So far the significant wart is the 'Wimpmodem' - I'm digging to see if it
can serve as a 'Limpmodem'. That part is actually interchangeable as a
'miniPCI' [whazzat?] plugin, so one option would be a "real" modem for
miniPCI. Also, there's no PCMCIA slot so anything you couldn't upgrade as
miniPCI would have to be USB. (Processor, memory, and HDD upgrades appear to
be 'generic' and accessible. Those _are_ mentioned in the manual.)

As a general observation, I expect the unit isn't physically very rugged and
may not bear abuse gracefully. That's a compromise I've accepted for many
years in photographic lenses (cheap ones are flimsy, but often quite sharp),
so I'll accept it for my computer. That said, it seems as solid as the Dell
my employer bought me - better if the keyboard is any indication.

 - Mills