[ale] [OT] VoIP recommendations

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 14:15:43 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 13:52 -0500, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> So, in short, it wouldn't be good for general contact, is that right?

Yes. I put it like this:  VoIP makes *you* look bad to other people,
some who may have no idea of what VoIP is or why you are even using it.
If you don't care about what those people think of you then go ahead and
use it. ;-)

> Are there no codecs that can adequately compress to telephone standard
> quality?  I thought that was in the single-digit kb/sec range?  Am I
> wrong in that?
>
> How much bandwidth does a single call require?

It's not the amount bandwidth so much as it's the consistency of the
bandwidth, latency, and jitter, as well as the general lack of the
latter two.

-Jim P.