[ale] Need to connect to a MS Access database from Linux

gchendry at bellsouth.net gchendry at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 25 13:26:01 EST 2005

Need to connect to a MS Access database from Linux

Specifics:
Yes, I have to use MS Access : (

I have a Linux server that has a samba mounted directory from a NT server containing the MS Access database. Thus I have local access to the database file.
I want to write standalone Java and tomcat:JSP programs on the Linux server to access this database.

I have been reading a lot of forms on this issue, and most if not all solutions contain middleware running on the MS platform to listen for jdbc remote calls.
I would like to stay away from any and all MS dependant components.
Warning, there are some java examples on the web on how to do this but they are for a  MS platform, they don't tell you that and lead you to think it is a solution.

The best solution I see available right now is :RmiJdbc : Client/Server JDBC Driver Based on Java RMI : http://rmijdbc.objectweb.org/
It is free, but requires a middleware component running on the MS server side.

Need Ideas, anybody have any?

If it comes down to buying an ODBC driver I'll do it. 've tried to find one,  but reading through all the red tape to find what I need is a time synch.  Recommendations?