[ale] Silencing netscape talkback

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Mar 24 19:21:00 EST 2005

As those who use Netscrape, I mean, Netscape know, it now has a "talkback"
feature where it pops up a Window and demands that you answer personal
questions.  While this window has a "x" button, it is disabled.

Even exiting Netscrape leaves this damn thing around, requiring "kill".

However, doing the following as root will silence it forever:

     su root
     cd /usr/local/netscape/components/talkback
     mv talkback talkback.real
     cp /bin/echo talkback

Note that I normally use Opera, which has much better manners.

(Please lets not start a flame war on which is the better browser.)

Best regards,

Bob Toxen, CTO
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"

http://www.verysecurelinux.com       [Network & Linux/Unix Security Consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My 5* book: "Real World Linux Security"]