[ale] Snort (Intrusion Detection)

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Thu Mar 24 14:26:25 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 01:21:55PM -0500, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> You can run snort as a non-root user by using the -u parameter. This
> makes snort run as an unprivleged user after root kicks the if into
> promisc mode. Anyone exploiting snort after it's started this way will
> not be able to use any root privs, but if they are pretty good they
> might be able to use the existing socket unless their original exploit
> caused snort to fail.
The -u parameter (and the respective capability in similar servers that
listen on privileged ports, such as named and Apache) are highly recommended
(and should be considered mandatory).

However, even so a compromise will allow a cracker to listen to all traffic
going across the wire.

Btw, Sendmail can be set up to not run as root and this is highly recommended.

> --
> Jonathan
Bob