[ale] Where is X11 overwriting my environmentals?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Thu Mar 17 11:25:06 EST 2005

ALErs -

Topic pretty much says it. I tried setting a particular environmental in
'/etc/profile' and then found it overwritten when I did an X11 login and
opened an Xterm under Gnome - or for that matter when I did an ssh remote
console login.

Naturally I immediately applied the change to my ~/.bash_profile. This is
effective on a console or ssh login, but _not_ when 'xdm' does the login.

%^&*#%$@!!!

Where is 'xdm' getting the environmental settings it applies? The default
setting is no longer usable, so I want to change the default for all users.

TIA.
 - Mills

John M. Mills
Staff Engineer