[ale] Trying to install on a new dell

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Mar 8 15:43:24 EST 2005

Davis, Ringo (Lester) wrote:
> If I choose the other option below (for experts)
> I get
>                                                                              start           end
> /dev/hda     27.9 GB     MK3021GAS                          0              58139
> /dev/hda1   47.2 MB     Dell Utitlity                             0                95
> /dev/hda2   24.8 GB     HPFS/NTFS                            96           51828
> /dev/hda3   3.0 GB       Win95 FAT32 LBA                 51829    58123
> /dev/hda4   7.8 MB       Extended                              58124     58139
> /dev/hda5   7.8 MB       linux swap                             58124     58139
> /dev/hda6   unknown    linux native                             58124     58123
>
> So maybe you can see why I'm confused. I've got multiple 20 somehting gig
> partitions on a 30 gig drive

/dev/hda is hour whole drive, 27.9 gig.
/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3 are your windows partitions (47.2 MB
+ 24.8 gig + 3 gig)
/dev/hda4 is an extended partition which contains /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6

That being said, it still appears to be screwed up, because hda5 and
hda6 show the same start position.

I would first try to delete the two linux partitions.  Then you would
need to resize /dev/hda2 so as to add some space for Linux.  Then
recreate linux root and swap partitions.

--
Until later, Geoffrey