[ale] Laptop backup recommendations

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Tue Mar 8 11:27:59 EST 2005

assume the backup is done from / with relative pathing (aka,  cd / && tar czf bigTarBall.tar.gz . )

# Here is the an example to extract two files and one directory in your home directory:
>mkdir /tmp/restored && cd /tmp/restored && tar xvfz /dump/bigTarBall.tar.gz ./home/bhawkins/favorite-3.mp3 ./home/bhawkins/biz_plan_200503.doc ./home/bhawkins/privateDirectory
# Or, create a file named "listOfFilesToExtract.txt" to list these two files and one directory one on each line.
>mkdir /tmp/restored && cd /tmp/restored && tar xvfz /dump/bigTarBall.tar.gz  -T listOfFilesToExtract.txt

It is always a better/safer practice to make a temp directory to extract/restore files, then move them to production or original location upon success and/or after review. Thus the "mkdir /tmp/restored && cd /tmp/restored && " at the begining.