[ale] running proftpd as a child of xinetd

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 18:32:47 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:41:50 -0500, joh6nn <joh6nn at hotpop.com> wrote:
> hey all, i'm trying to run proftpd (1.2.10) as a child of xinetd
> (2.3.13), and not making much progress.  i've had proftpd successfully
> running as a standalone for a while, so i know i have a working .conf
> for that.  i switched the ServerType over to inetd already, so that
> shouldn't be it either
>
> my proftpd conf for xinetd (which i cobbled together from various sites
> that didn't explain what any of this does, though for some of it i can
> guess) is as follows:
>
> service ftp
> {
>          disable                 = no
>          flags                   = REUSE
>          socket_type             = stream
>          wait                    = no
>          user                    = root
>          #groups                 = yes
>          server                  = /usr/sbin/proftpd
>          log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
>          log_on_failure          += USERID
>          nice                    = 10
>          bind                    = 137.99.177.217
> }
>
> when i try to ftp in, i get "connection refused".

Here's what mine looks like:
service ftp
{
	disable	= no
	socket_type		= stream
	wait			= no
	user			= root
	server			= /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
	log_on_success		+= DURATION USERID
	log_on_failure		+= USERID
	nice			= 10
}

Only real difference is the server is /usr/sbin/in.ftpd

Also, try turning off any firewall.  I agree that it doesn't sound
like that's your problem, but you never know.

Michael