[ale] USB booting issues

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 7 12:04:06 EST 2005

It seems that the partition will only be bootable when it looks like
this:
[root at cfowler tmp]# fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 524 MB, 524025856 bytes
34 heads, 63 sectors/track, 477 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2142 * 512 = 1096704 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *         1       235    251408    4  FAT16 <32M
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(249, 33, 63) logical=(234, 26, 13)

Command (m for help):

That is where the partition has different physical or logical endings.

If I delete the partition and recreate it just like this but not with
different physical and logical endings it fails to boot.  It seems that
windows partitions the stick this way.

If I do the following

# sfdisk -d ./dev/sda > /tmp/sda.out
# sfdisk --force /dev/sda < /tmp/sda.out
# syslinux /dev/sda1

Then it fails to boot.

Any way to manually partition this in linux and make it boot?