[ale] running proftpd as a child of xinetd

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 5 17:08:17 EST 2005

rpcinfo -p "nameofhost"

so

rpcinfo -p science.kennesaw.edu

would try to query the portmapper on port 111 and request a list of RPC
services and mappings.

If you can get that while on the local host or remotely then that tells
you the portmapper is running and what RPC services are available either
locally or over the network.  NFS is a RPC service so it requires that
the portmapper be running.  So does FAM.
Dow