[ale] Gimp upgrade prob

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Fri Mar 4 09:54:11 EST 2005

Hi All,

This is a difficult upgrade problem.  I upgraded Gimp to 22. from 1.2
and printing from Gimp quit working.  A little reading revealed that
Gimp-print version I had (1.x I think)  won't work with Gimp 2.2 so I
installed gimp-print 4.2.  Still didn't work, so I installed gimp-print
5 beta and completely broke Gimp's ability to print.

Decided to try to reinstall Gimp 2.  Configure fails checking the gtk+
version installed.  Reading more I find that gimp-print 4 and 5 needs
gtk+2.2 or better so I installed gtk+2.4.  Still no love.  I
un-installed the old gtk libs incase the script was confusing them.
Still no config.

So, I am trying to run the ./configure script for Gimp .2.2 but it
cannot find the gtk+2 libraries.  Here is a snip from the configure
failure.

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.2... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly
installed.
configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

I am looking at the code in the configure script to determine where it
is looking for gtk+ but since I am only a programmer wanna-be I haven't
a flippin idea of what I am looking at. (I only know enough to break
things)

Anyone got time to look at this script and tell me how to satisfy it or
know how to fix this issue in a more painless fashion?

Thanks,

Mark