[ale] Cron scripts and ttys

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 3 11:15:14 EST 2005

John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> We have a backup cron script that running on some HP K460s that has worked
> well for many years.  In the last few weeks, our backup size has grown
> large enough to require two tapes.  Problem is, because this script runs
> as a cron job, it's not attached to any tty and there is no way to respond
> to the prompt tar throws up to tell you to change media.
>
> Is there anyway, outside of using screen (we've had significant issues
> getting it compiled on the HPs) to get a script to run on a tty from cron?

How would you handle this anyway?  I mean, if you want to be prompted to
swap tapes, someone will have to be there to swap the tapes, so why not
simply have them run the job at the right time.

I'm not sure what this would gain you if you sent a message to the
console that needed to be responded to anyway.

--
Until later, Geoffrey