[ale] Switching from KDE to Gnome

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Mar 3 07:25:06 EST 2005

As previously mentioned, you don't have to run Gnome to use the Gnome libraries.  Just install the complete Gnome system including development libraries.  It's all onthe DVD/CDs that come with SuSE.  Just run YaST:Install/Remove Software.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 10:33 pm, ringo wrote:
>Thanks, I'll dig around in Yast for a while. Here is why I'm talking
>about switching to Gnome.
>I'm working on a robot that is controlled by a laptop via the serial
>port. I'm writing the code in C. I would like to start doing some basic
>graphics so I can draw a mp of where the robot has been. Just grids or a
>2d array of rectangles, that sort of thing. Since I have a lot of stuff
>already written in C I would rather not switch langs to python or
>something and have to start over. I have a book called "Beginning Linux
>Programming" That covers TCL, perl, etc. The only thing I have seen so
>far that is in C if Gnome-GTK. The book says you have to be running
>gnome to use it. I tried compiling a sample program from a KDE terminal
>window and it could not find things like gnome.h.
>So, I'm assuming I need to use gnome for this to work, is this correct?
>Is there another easy way to do some easy graphics and Gui stuff? I'm a
>hardware guy, not a programmer so the easier the better.
>Thanks
>Ringo

Well, first of all, you don't have to switch windowing environments to use
Gnome-GTK. If you have everything installed properly, you can use any Gnome
application while KDE is running. And the reverse is also true.

Ale mailing list
Ale at ale.org