[ale] running proftpd as a child of xinetd

joh6nn joh6nn at hotpop.com
Tue Mar 1 01:37:20 EST 2005

Mike Murphy wrote:
> hmmm.... That "bind failed, cannot assign..." message makes me wonder a
> couple of things:
>
> 1. I remember that you were assigning a certain IP address in your
> xinetd config for this service. You might try removing that. Without
> that line, I think it should just bind to all interfaces on that
> machine. If removing that line works, then we have to then figure out
> why it doesn't work with that line in, but it would be progress.
> 2. Slightly silly question/suggestion: is it possible that something
> else is already listening on port 21, so xinetd can't grab it? Maybe
> proftpd is still running in daemon mode or something (like I said, silly
> question, but deserves asking)?
>
> Mike

1) nope: i've commented various things in the conf file out, and
restarted xinetd with no joy.  if you remove the bind directive, then
instead of getting "connection refused" when you try to log in, you'll
just sit until finally it times out.

2) i suppose it's possible, but i don't see it as likely; the only thing
that i've had on 21 till today was proftpd, so unless the attempt to
move it to xinetd has somehow caused something to start listening on 21,
then there shouldn't be anything using.  i'm as certain as i can be that
proftpd isn't still running: i stopped it manually, chkconfiged it off,
and it's not listed if i run ps -A.

--joh6nn