[ale] OT: Calculating PC power consumption

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Jun 29 18:27:44 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:41:52PM -0400, John Wells wrote:
> Gentlemen,

> On my home DSL, I have roughly four boxes running at any give time: a
> firewall/router, a DNS server, a web server, and a wireless VPN router.

> I'd like to get a rough idea of how much these servers (particularly the
> web server and dns server) cost me in $$ from power consumption on a
> monthly basis.  I can't imagine it's overwhelming, but it'd still be nice
> to know.
Just plug each into an AC Ammeter or try to snap its clamp around one of the
power leads inside the case.  Then check the rate of your electricty and
do the calculations.

> Anyone tried doing this before?
Yes, for a client's systems located at my office.  It actually was a small
amount and not worth worrying about.

You DO dedicate a room of your abode to your consulting and DO write off
that portion of household expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities, etc.) off of
your taxes as a business expense, I hope.

> Thanks,
> John

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]