[ale] DVD woes

PairOfTwins PairOfTwins at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 29 15:36:38 EDT 2005

Anyone:

My DVD-RW drive (NEC) stopped erasing CD-RWs consistently, and would not
reliably mount CD-RW discs that it had previously written.  I've
reseated the cable on both ends with no improvement.  The firmware is
current, and I'm using the latest cdrecord version with a 2.6 kernel.

When mounted in a WinXP (shudder!) box, using Nero, I'm able to erase
those same CD-RWs and write data to them, that I can read on the Linux
box in another DVD unit.

Sooooooooooooooooo, if I RMA the unit, then NEC won't see any problem,
though they never replied to my request for a diagnostic program.

Any thoughts?  The warranty is about up!

Thanks,
Tom