[ale] Fedora 4 .iso's

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Jun 18 21:51:01 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 21:21 -0400, Brian J. Dowd wrote:
> Yes, that is what I did ... I can't find an option in k3b to make a CD
> bootable.
> Do you know if there is one ... or another command which will wite the
> "bootable" flag?

Why not simply burn the ISO you downloaded onto a blank,  It is marked
as bootable?  Are you simply just experimenting to learn?  Discovery is
the best way.

Okay.  the disk images use ISOLINUX for boot.  Here is the page that
describes it:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php

It also describes the command line arguments that you'll need to use
mkisofs to make the ISO bootable.

Sometimes I remaster the FC ISO images.  Why?  Because I install on
headless boxes and the FC images do not have that turned on.  I simply
add the 'console=ttyS0,115200" to the isolinux.cfg kernel command line
and I make text the default and make it immediately boot.   For those
others that do headless installs you'll notice this nice message at boot
on install "cereal is an important part of a nutritionally balanced
breakfast".