[ale] How to upgrade kernel in Fedora?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 15:34:47 EDT 2005

On 16 Jun 2005 11:05:46 -0600, Joe Knapka <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having a problem upgrading my kernel from the 2.6.8-xyz shipped
> with FC3, to 2.6.11 from kernel.org.  I built and installed the kernel
> image and modules successfully, but when I try to boot the new kernel,
> I get a kernel panic because it can't load module "/lib/raid.ko" due
> to module version mismatch. (Even though I disabled module versioning
> when configuring the kernel...)
>
> The old kernel boots initially from an initrd, and I'm trying to use
> that same initrd to boot the new kernel as well (because I don't know
> what else to do). I presume that /lib/raid.ko exists on the initrd,
> but I'm at a loss how to fix this. Do I need to build a new initrd for
> this kernel, and if so, how do I do that?  Why do I need the initrd in
> the first place? (Is it because my / is on a software RAID partition?)
> Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I believe that you do need to use the initrd for the kernel you are
booting.  As I recall there is a mkinitrd command that should do the
trick.

initrd contains the modules you'll need to boot the kernel completely.
 Since you're changing kernels you'll want to change initrds, too.

Alternatively, say "no" to any modules (especially the raid module,
and any modules needed to access your HD) and put all the capabilities
you need into the kernel.  Then you won't  need the initrd and you'll
boot faster, too.

Michael