[ale] IPSec client for Linux?

Tony Carter tcarter at entrusion.com
Wed Jun 15 22:51:30 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 04:36 pm, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Does anyone VPN in to their employer's network using anykind of IPSec
> client for Linux?
>
> If I had a solution for that, I think I could stop using windows. On
> Windows, I'm currently using a Cisco IPsec client to access a customer VPN
> and a Lucent IPsec client to access Lucent's network.
>
> I know that FC3 has a IPsec client.  Has anyone ever gotten it to work?

I use Cisco's VPN client on FC3, it works great.

Stay clear of the  discontinued FreeS/WAN because security bugs will not be
fixed ( see http://www.freeswan.org/ ).

The implmentation in FC3 is based off of Kame (http://www.kame.net/) and has
had some issues with interoperability
( http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/26sec )

Here is a good comparison that is reasonably accurate..
http://www.openswan.org/docs/feature_comparison.php

-Tony