[ale] Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Wed Jun 15 13:02:56 EDT 2005

How is basic web browsing?
This is not bad. The Opera browser is very good at displaying pages, and
allowing you to scale them up and down

How is integration with outlook?
Never tried Outlook

How is battery life? (with or without the Wifi card, and an SD card
installed?)
This is the part that sux. The Zaurus is a great PDA IMHO, but the
battery life is terrible. Especially when you throw in a CF wireless
card. The wireless works great, but it sucks down the battery even faster.

How hackable is it? (geek quotient)
I would say it is pretty hackable. Sharp was pretty open in giving user
information about how to develop apps in QT and Java for the Zaurus.
There was even a group who created an alternate Linux distro for the
Zaurus (Search for Opie on Source Forge). You can also find tons of your
favorite SW on the web for the Z. I was able to get SSH installed, which
allowed mew to SSH/Tunnel into our corporate LAN, and mount NFS
filesystems and chat through IRC with fellow employees. I would still
use mine a lot more, if the battery lasted longer

Denny

Denny Chambers

Unix IS user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends.