[ale] Pictures of the culprit (was OT: Diagnosing HW problem)

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jun 15 08:51:04 EDT 2005

James P. Kinney III said:
> WooHoo! Nice pics of dead hardware!
>
> That stuff is power component devices. Likely a capacitor used to trim the
> power to the CPU (they are often the largest things on the board).
>
> If I recall, you had some power supply issues with this rig earlier. It is
> likely that the PS was failing and cracked/nearly blew the case open on
> the cap. The new PS is fine but the on-rush of current was the end of the
> part.

Nope...I think the power supply issues were someone else's...my Antec 350W
has been working fine for years as far as I know.  I installed a new MB
last night and everything is back to normal...I hope this isn't an
indicator that the PS is indeed going bad, as I'd hate to lose another MB.
 Keeping my fingers crossed that this was a lightning outside the window
thing.

Btw, scary story there.  Makes me want to move all my important data to a
large, protected data center!  If I wasn't so paranoid... :)

Thanks,
John