[ale] new hardware problems

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 17:34:27 EDT 2005

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 11
>Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:43:57 -0400
>From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>Subject: [ale] new hardware problems
>To: ALE <ale at ale.org>
>
>Well, got to pick out my father's day gift early.  It's been a pretty
>big headache ever since.  :(   Here's the story:
>
>New Asus a7n8x-e deluxe mb, new matched pair of ddr400 512m corsair
>memory,  AMD Sempron 3000+ (relatively new, but known to work in another
>mb). New WD Raptor 36g sata drive.  All assembled in a previously owned
>Lian-li case.
>
>New bios in the mb, 1013 the latest.
>
>Box begins to boot, but seems to cycle through a couple of reboots
>without me doing anything.  I say that because you see the monitor led
>go green, then you hear what appears to be a reboot and the led goes
>yellow, then green again.  Sometimes it will make it to the 'loading the
>OS' message, other times I never see anything on the monitor.
>
>It will spontaenously reboot, even when sitting in the bios screen.
>I've been in the bios, when suddenly the box reboots.  It's not heat
>related as the mb has monitoring and when I view the temps, they're okay.
>
>The mb manual is of little help as you're not sure what's good/bad.
>Start's by saying there are 4 memory slots (there are 3).  Then says you
>can arrange matching dual channel ddr400 sticks in [1,3], [2,3] or
>[1,2,3].  I've never seen matched sticks in threes...
>
>It says you can use single-channel ddr400 one stick in any one of the
>slots.  I have tried this, with three different sticks of ddr400, still
>can not get a successful boot.
>
>Any suggestions as to what this might be would be greatly appreciated.
>Bad mb or memory I guess, but I don't even want to consider swapping the
>board out.  I've got other ddr400 memory, but it's not 'paired.'  I've
>tried it as well, but no luck.  I've gotten as far as actually getting
>into the install when SuSE was loading the drive, but that suddenly
>rebooted as well.
>
>I guess I mostly suspect the mb, but what a pita to have to replace this
>thing now.  :(
>
> --

It is probably a silly question but have you tested your new hardware
with another power supply?

The last time I had a system that would randomly reboot like that the
power supply was not producing enough juice to keep the system running.

It would reboot in the manner that you described. Once I replaced it
with another P/S it never gave me anymore problems.

Van Loggins        vanloggins at gmail.com
		   HOME # 706-864-6739
		   Cell # 678-316-0136

      _