[ale] Widescreen TV vs Widescreen LCD

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 11 23:40:45 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 23:03 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 22:26 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > Unless you like to watch DVD's in widescreen format the extra screen
> > real estate is not worth the cost. There is _still_ nothing on TV worth
> > watching. HDTV would be nice if the set had a way to automatically
> > detect the (more frequent and more obnoxious) commercials and lower the
> > volume automatically.
> >
> > Do you REALLY want to watch 30+ reality-tv shows in widescreen HTDV?
> >
> > <shudder>
>
> Let me restate... I only want the widescreen for the occasional DVD.  I
> seriously doubt that I watch any TV/cable program that is even available
> in widescreen.  Higher definition could also be nice for the occasional
> live-on-tv "breaking news" car chase, but my primary use would be DVD or
> such.

I just got an HDTV with a normal screen. The screen is crisp and very
bright. DVD's play _very_ nicely. The tv supports letterbox mode so the
wide screen DVD's look very nice. The HDTV is  nice plus for the DVD
use. It lets the DVD be seen at nearer it's native resolution. (That's
not quite right, but a fairly close approximation). There is a
difference between DVD on HDTV and normal TV resolution.

The nicest part is the flat front on the screen (it's not a plasma or
LCD, just a flat tube). That eliminated the glare from the lights around
the room.

The catch I ran into was placing my center speaker for the surround
sound system on top of the TV caused the image to warp very badly near
the speaker. The old TV apparently had some metal in it. The new ones
are almost all plastic.

In short: the HDTV is worth to upgrade price for good image quality on
DVD's. If you have to choose between standard resolution with wide-
screen and normal screen with HDTV, get the HDTV.