[ale] Hotplug to load network interfaces

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sat Jun 11 01:17:58 EDT 2005

I don't think so but I have a lot to learn. It seems as though Debian is
making a move from the auto "interface name" to using hotplug to
configure the interface. Basically I have read that I need to add to the
"interfaces" file:

mapping hotplug
	script echo

What prompted all this is that for some reason eth0 will never come up on
boot. It is configured via ppp. It "used" to work great. Now I have to
"ip link set eth0 up" and then "pon dsl-provider" to get my connection
up. The eth1 interface loads just fine without intervention. This is a
server for dsl on other computers so this is just not working right now.
Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated. Anyway all the info I have
read and tried thus far has not worked at all. This is on a desktop
Debian Sarge system.

Thanks,

Jim Seymour

--
I started using something better than the "standard" back when IBM advertised
OS/2 Warp on TV. As Linux matured I made the transition from OS/2 v4 to Linux.