[ale] Drive recovery

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 9 11:05:23 EDT 2005

It's amazing how effective an alternating 2T magnetic field is at
rendering a hard drive platter _VERY_ blank.

2 minutes at ~60Hz @ 2T. The buzzing noise is the armature vibrating
back and forth inside the case striking the case and the platter.

Not only will this reduce the platter to a useless mass it will also
totally destroy the electronics pack and magnetize any hints of iron
atoms anywhere in the structure rendering the entire unit useless.

In DC mode, 2T will hold a full height drive suspended on the face of
the magnet pole. Any body part between the drive and magnet will be
seriously pinched. At 8", a 10" crescent wrench is pulled out of a good
grip.