[ale] Getting the next index of a table in mysql

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jun 9 09:32:34 EDT 2005

I'm going to control deletion.  Once a row is inserted it can not be
changed.

There is a problem if the user does do the following in an empty DB.

insert into sensor_533 values (533, now());

Now max will retrieve the 533 as the max with only one row in the DB.

> Checking the new Row ID after an insert is the only real way to go
about it.

This might be the best way but how do I do this?  "select serial_no from
table_533 where ....."

The table is very simple for now.

 CREATE TABLE sensor_533 (
  serial_no INTEGER(9) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  issued DATETIME NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY(serial_no),
);

CREATE TABLE device (
  device_id INTEGER(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  name VARCHAR(20) NULL,
  table_name VARCHAR(20) NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY(device_id),
);

insert into device values (0, "533", "sensor_533");

Evan that method has the same problem as select max(...)  In the MySQL
documents it stated that the auto_increment value was stored in memory
at startup and the program simply does a select max(...) to get the
correct value.