[ale] Getting the next index of a table in mysql

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jun 9 06:42:06 EDT 2005

I have a table in MySQL that will has an integer that is the promary key
and auto increments.  Is there a way that my software can get the next
value that will be assigned?  I'm storing serial numbers and I have
software that will flash a chip with that serial number.  It needs to
flash the chip then do an insert into that table with the date and other
information.  I need to do what value will be assigned before I do the
insert.