[ale] Dvorak Says

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Jun 8 02:00:47 EDT 2005

I can't imagine what Dvorak's reasoning is.

All the processor switch means is that it will be
easier to install Linux onto Mac OSeX boxes! . :-D

Though extreme and a bit strange, expanding Mac access to commodity AMD /
Intel CPUs might be a good move. There are a lot of aspects to OSeX that  can
ease the transition, including the x86 heritage of the FreeBSD layer at the
core of the OSeX and most of its API's. For the hardware side, Apple has
already migrated most of their system interfaces to functional commodity
standards like USB, IEEE-1394, SATA, EIDE and PCI.

On the other hand, the timing of jumping onto x86 CPU's right now could be
really bad. The commodity architecture seems to be running into some hard
walls  in transistor density, speed, and price / performance ratios. It may
well be that any near-future leaps in computer performance are more likely to
come from new and novel multi-processor and FPGA architectures that will
inevitably leave x86 thinking in the dust. Seems to me that Apple's present
manufacturing and architecture control puts them in an ideal position to
capitalize on new hardware innovations. Unless they keep some Mac system
aspect highly proprietary, a total switch to commodity CPU's could also
dissipate Apples control over the integration of hardware, OS and software
that presently provides all the added value of Mac systems in terms of
reliability, real user support, fully integrated Multi-media and general ease
of use.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

peace
(because the only secure nation is a nation at peace)
aaron