[ale] Question: Transparent document sharing over the Internet

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Tue Jun 7 20:47:22 EDT 2005

Well, since I don't see anyone else suggesting this:
Maybe a wiki?  I've heard of several businesses out there using wikis or forms
of them. They have shared document capability, revision history, and capacity
to deal with word documents as uploaded files.

You could set up a server with something like Plone ( http://plone.org ) or a
wiki on it and they can log in from the road and edit/revise/share documents
with full revision history. Depending on the exact needs of the group, you
could even have them edit the documents as wiki pages, and make an export
function that turns the wiki page into an rtf file for use with Word.

That way they can edit online, export, edit offline, and merge changes back in
with simple copy and paste. I'm more familiar with Plone than a straight
wiki, but I know Plone has the capability to copy and paste formatted text
from a word document and preserve the formatting.

It might be more complicated than what you're looking for, but it would
certainly fit the bill, and it'd be pretty scaleable.

-Jay