[ale] erasing ext3 filesystems securely

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Jun 7 10:51:44 EDT 2005

Geoffrey said:
> Then I don't understand the docs you posted earlier.  If shred is doing
> a raw write, which is what I would expect it to do, then type type of
> file system should not matter.

Yes, this was a disconnect in my thinking that was helped along by a bit
of an unclear man page.  See Michael Trausch's response to this
thread...the nugget of useful information is contained in the shred info
manual.

You can use shred on both devices and files (and file systems).  If you
pass it a device, you needn't worry about what type of filesystem resides
there (logically), but if you pass it a file(system) you do.

Thanks,
John